About This Episode
In Season 1 Episode 3 of the Tae Kwon Daddy Podcast we visit with Master Jose Ramirez of the Christian Taekwondo League about what to expect once you sign your child (or yourself!) up for Martial Arts, both negative and positive, and then we close with several keys to success.
Here are the basic highlights from the episode:
Negative Things to Expect
- Expect some crying
- Expect some kicking of other kids (especially siblings)
- Expect to pay for more stuff
- Expect disappointing looks from your instructor
- Expect to be at the dojang a lot
- Expect curriculum to change
- Expect to see some drama
- Expect a lot of emails
- Expect your child to fail
Positive Things to Expect
- Expect your child to be more respectful
- Expect your child to improve their listening skills.
- Expect better physical conditioning
- Expect better flexibility
- Expect proud looks from your instructor
- Expect to build friendships
- Expect to be challenged
- Expect a life long passion or, at least, a life long fitness hobby!
- Expect your child to become a ninja
- Expect to have fun along the way
- Expect your child to succeed
Keys to Success
- Choose a dojang/instructor somewhat wisely
- Be proactive
- Watch class, don’t just go (and work or check your phone).
Put the technology away, at least while in the dojang
the occasional check is ok, inevitable, but to just sit there
kids love language, probably quality time at a young age
me and lj story
- Sign up yourself!
- Don’t treat MA like daycare
- Build a working relationship with the instructor to support parenting goals
- …but don’t USE the instructor as a disciplinarian (?)
- Don’t let them quit
- …but don’t be forceful either.
- Have fun
And that’s it!
You can read more about Master Ramirez and the Christian Taekwondo League over at https://sa-christiantkd.com.
Until next time, Train Hard, but Parent Harder.
San Antonio native Logan Seth Ramirez is a martial arts student and proud father of four. He trains in Tae Kwon Do and American Tang Soo Do at the Christian Taekwondo League (part of the Tang Soo Do Karate Association) under Master Jose Ramirez alongside some of the kiddos.